ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] NetWare Client full backups running when incremental is selected

2008-01-17 14:16:11
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] NetWare Client full backups running when incremental is selected
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 13:15:18 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Kevin P. Kinder
> Server:  TSM running on z/OS 1.7
>              Just upgraded to 5.5
> My NetWare clients are now running full backups instead of the
> incrementals which are specified. It looks as if every Netware server
> that I have is doing this. Obviously, this is killing my disk and tape
> storage space. This is happening on client versions from 5.2-5.4

Are your NetWare boxes running in a clustered environment? If so, you
may have a situation where NetWare changes a file attribute on every
file on every cluster disk that gets moved from one node to another.
When the attribute gets changed, TSM sees it as a changed file and backs
it up again.

I ran across this issue a year or so ago at a customer site. I don't
know the details (the NetWare admin was fiercely protective of his
environment and wasn't forthcoming with help). If this is the case, the
issue lay with NetWare, not TSM.

--
Mark Stapleton
Berbee (a CDW company)