ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Spanking my data.

2008-01-16 10:27:04
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Spanking my data.
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:16:38 -0500
But many times, overlap can't be avoided.  For instance, I run EXPIRE
INVENTORY Saturdays at 11am.  Since it runs a long time (sometimes over
24-hours), it is going to collide with the daily creation of copypool
tapes (which also will run for many hours)  and if the LZ overflows,
migration will kick off as needed.

Yes, the copypool process gets pissy if an object it wanted to backup got
migrated out from underneat it.

Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
01/16/2008 12:31 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Spanking my data.

.
In my experience, the only one of those you don't want to mess with is
migration. Tape drives are our most scarce resource.

We do client-backup/expiration/reclamation together. (Our database is
big, and is on extremely fast, highly tuned, disks.) Then we migrate,
all by itself. Then we backup the database. We expire 22 hours/day or
until it finishes, except during database backup. We do database
backup/reclamation together. You can call me crazy, but this works and
has evolved over many years as the best way to get it all done.