ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TS1120 encryption

2007-12-31 21:17:22
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TS1120 encryption
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 21:16:51 -0500
Our TSM server runs under SLES 9 Linux on a zSeries mainframe. The
> server level is currently 5.3.4.0, but it will probably be upgraded
> to 5.4 in the next few months.
> Is it possible to use library managed encryption with our combination
> of library and server platform? Is it possible to use system managed
> encryption with our combination of library and platform?

==> Since no one has come running to answer this one, I"ll take a stab:

Download GA76-0418-04  (EKM intro and user's Guide, make sure you get the
latest -04 version)

See P. 22 ("Solution components for linux") and P. 71, installing on ZLinux.
I don't have personal experience with the config you have, but according to
this doc, the answer is yes, you should be able to run system managed,
library managed, or application managed encryption.   (If you select
application-managed, make sure you get all the way up to 5.4.1.1)

Note also on P. 22, you need a firmware upgrade to your 3494, as well as the
TS1120 drives.  I don't know if this is a chargeable feature on your 3494 or
not; make sure your salesperson verifies the feature codes that are
necessary to do this.

We have a hot site contract with SunGard. We have always run our
annual tests at the Philadelphia location, but we could be sent to
another city if we declared a disaster and the Philadelphia site
was being used by another customer. Can SunGard provide TS1120 tape
drives with encryption capability?

==> All TS1120 drives are shipped with encryption capability.  The question
is whether SunGard has the appropriate feature codes on the 3494 to support
Encryption.  Make sure you check it out with SunGard.  Encryption for 3494's
became available later than for TS3500 libraries, some SunGard sites
probably have it set up already, some may not.

Good luck!
Wanda