ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Any market for used tape media?

2007-12-15 11:28:24
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Any market for used tape media?
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 10:27:52 -0600
.
IF you are located in Illinois, by state law, you must either erase or
degauss TEN (10) times. This makes it impractical from a labor
standpoint. Physical destruction is really the only option, which we are
currently considering as we do a technology update with a 595-cartridge
tape library used with TSM.

We may wind up buying a chipper machine, that reduces tapes and disk
drives to shreds. (Actually sounds like fun, and is probably accompanied
by lots of great noise. I think that destroying data in this manner will
wind up being pleasureable.)

The only tape format that can be degaussed and then reused is the DLT
family, which has now been end-of-lifed by its main supporter, Quantum.
(But still, by law you'd have to do it 10 times if you're in Illinois.)

"No one may throw an old computer across the street at their neighbor."
-- city ordinance, Warsaw, Indiana