ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Vista oddness

2007-12-07 11:17:15
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Vista oddness
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 11:16:49 -0500
>> On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 16:01:45 +0100, Henrik Wahlstedt <SHWL AT STATOILHYDRO
>> DOT COM> said:

> Well, no wonder why Microsoft already are deduplicating their
> Systemstate backups with System Recovery Tool, SRT, an add on to
> DPM2007.
> I wont argue how well they do this but at least they try.

Mmm.  Do stupid wasteful things in the published APIs, and unroll them
in a proprietary tool.  I'll bet a nickel the DPM folks have access to
the internal docs.

It makes me think of the policy MS had on office apps: the windows
APIs they published were known to be hobbled, and the MS applications
crew (Office, etc) got access to the undocumented APIs which actually
functioned with reasonable efficiency.

I wonder what percentage of MS personell are actively engaged in
creating chaff and obstacles for the software ecosystem around the OS.
Someone is a wizard at PR, to convince all those folks they're not
doing negative work.  If they weren't, the suicide rate in Redmond
would be far worse.

- Allen S. Rout