ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] DB2 / TSM Question

2007-12-05 10:10:22
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] DB2 / TSM Question
From: Ken Chamberlain <ken.chamberlain AT UTORONTO DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 10:08:48 -0500
Do you code DB2 parameter LOGARCHMETH1 & 2?   My thinking is that since
db2adutl finds logs you ARE coding LOGARCHMETH1 at least.  DB2 logs as of
db2 8.2 are archived as TSM archive objects.  This means they have a defined
retention period expressed in days since archival.
Get someone with admin access to TSM to issue the TSM query
"q copygroup STANDARD ACTIVE $LOGARCHMETH1 STANDARD type=arch"
where $LOGARCHMETH1 is the TSM management class you coded in the DB2
parameter LOGARCHMETH1  (i.e. remove the leading "TSM:").
Pay attention to the Retain Version value returned.
Repeat for LOGARCHMETH2 if you specified that parameter.
I'm guessing from the db2adutl query your Retain Version is set to 3.  (You
newest log is dated 4th of December, oldest is dated the 1st of December,
4-1=3).

If that is not the case, have you recently run
"db2adutl delete older than 3 days"?

Since db2 does not automatically delete TSM backups, you must be running
"db2adutl delete older than x days" on a regular basis.  The retain value
specified in the archive copygroup associated with the management class you
use in LOGARCHMETH1 & 2 must be larger than (or equal to) "x" as specified
in the "db2adutl delete" command.  You also need to "backup database ? use
TSM" more frequently than the Retain Version value.

Ken Chamberlain
University of Toronto