ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Is there a simple way to test a tape drive?

2007-12-04 22:19:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Is there a simple way to test a tape drive?
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 10:30:17 -0500
>Which is really a hard thing to do if you have more than say four
>drives!
>Kelly J. Lipp

and

> Sounds to me like you have too many tape drives.  Did you tell your CFO
> of your woes?  I'm sure this should be a consideration during your next
> budget cycle.
>

> Cheers,
> Neil Strand

Hi guys . . .

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  We'll have to try some of them out.

We are getting rid of a old HP Omniback system that was used to backup our
SAP environment - moving to TSM.  There is very little we will miss about
Omniback, but the 2 things we will miss a lot:  the simple ability to
test a drive, and, the ability to push client software out to servers.

Now . . .as far as "too many tape drives" . . . When the CFO comes around,
I tell him that the big long 18 bay 3494 with 14 tsm drives and 6
mainframe vts drives . . .well, it's not really there . . .  it's a figment
of his imagination. After all, it's mostly just empty/open space!!!

Rick

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.