ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Sizing virtual tapes

2007-12-04 22:19:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Sizing virtual tapes
From: "Johnson, Milton" <milton.johnson AT CITI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:20:37 -0500
Here is my response to an earlier question on sizing a VTL.  I have been
using a 10GB tape volume size for a couple of years and have not seen a
reason to change.  I originally chose 10GB because ISM recommended that
size when using sequential file devices.

Yes that is an approach that will work. I used:
(Total_Bytes_in_Primary_STG + ((Max_Daily_Amt_Backed-up X (ReuseDelay +
2))) X Growth_factor

I then let the compression factor be my fudge factor.

However give some thought to the size (native capacity) of your virtual
tape volumes.  In the physical world you have little control over this
(we generally use the largest size cartridge we can get to have the
greatest capacity [volume size times fixed number of cartridge slots =
total capacity online]).  In the VTL world things are different, you
total capacity is fixed (determined by the disk space you purchased) but
YOU can determine the volume size and the number cartridge slots equals
the total capacity divided by the size of your virtual tape volumes.

This said, what can you do with it?  I went with a small tape size
(10GB) and have the following benefits:
A) If I need a file at the end of the tape I spin through 10GB not 100GB
of data (ignoring compression).
B) No matter what reclamation threshold you use, you will have tapes
that are 1% short of being reclaimed.  Small tapes in this state "waste"
less space then large tapes in that state.

One gotcha is deciding which physical library you are emulating.  When I
first brought my VTL up, TSM choked.  Why?  Because TSM "knew" that the
library I was emulating could not have 1,415 physical tape slots.  I
changed the emulation to an "ADIC Scalar 10K" and the problem was
solved.  Sorry I don't remember the original library emulation.

Just a thought, think outside the physical box, it's all virtual.

Thanks,
H. Milton Johnson