ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Nervous Nellies and TDPO -- feasible?

2007-11-27 10:54:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Nervous Nellies and TDPO -- feasible?
From: Dan Foster <tronic183 AT EVILPHB DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 10:54:16 -0500
Hi ladies and gentlemen,

        I *really* appreciate the feedback including one by private
e-mail! It's helped a lot in resolving our DBAs' concerns.

        Yesterday, we configured RMAN/TDPO (our first TDPO setup) and I
must say the performance flies with use of multiple parallelized
streams! I'd only previously set up TDP-MSSQL (which is pretty good, too.)

        The point regarding continuing to use some form of additional
backups outside of TDPO for 'insurance' purposes is a good one, and we
will continue to do so.

        The Redbooks tip was a good one. I've worked with IBM gear for
over 10 years but for some reason, hadn't occurred to me to look there.
I guess I'm too used to knowing the stuff that I normally need to know. :-)

        This database isn't on storage that allows for BCV/FlashCopy
type snapshots, unfortunately, or we'd leverage that. A pretty good
idea, though. (We have various EMC, IBM, and Hitachi enterprise disk
storage but not for this particular Oracle database -- historical
reasons partly tied in to fairly messy politics.)

        I think we're on the right track now, and thanks again for your
assistance!

Cheers,

-Dan