ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] migrating to different tape technology (2 libraries)

2007-11-24 11:29:22
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] migrating to different tape technology (2 libraries)
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:28:47 -0600
Same result, less work for you (in my opinion):

Set up your new devclass and tape pools, do whatever testing you want to
do to make yourself comfortable that the hardware is OK.

-Switch your DB Backupsto the new devclass
-RENAME your old primary pool to PRIMARYNAME-OLD
-RENAME your old copy pool to COPYPOOLNAME-OLD.
-RENAME your NEW pools to the original PRIMARYNAME and COPYPOOLNAME.

All your NEW data will start flowing to the new hardware.
That way you don't have to change any of your scripts/ overnight
processes/ maintenance scripts / management classes.

When your BACKUP STGPOOL runs, it will be going from the (new) primary to
(new) copypool.

Update PRIMARYNAME-OLD so that nextstgpool is PRIMARYNAME.
Set the migration threshold to 0, and TSM will move all the data from
PRIMARYNAME-OLD to PRIMARYNAME for you.  As the data flows into
PRIMARYNAME, your overnight BACKUP STGPOOL will copy it to COPYPOOLNAME.

When PRIMARYNAME-OLD is empty, and the BACKUP STGPOOL is completed, ALL
the data is now in PRIMARYNAME and copied to COPYPOOLNAME.  You will have
to DELETE VOLUME DISCARDDATA=YES for all the old volumes in
COPYPOOLNAME-OLD, no getting around that.  All the volumes in
PRIMARYNAME-OLD will have gone back to scratch, check them out, delete the
old pools and library.

If you don't have enough spare cycles to let the migration run
continuously until it is done, instead of setting the migration threshold
on PRIMARYNAME-OLD to 0, you can schedule MIGRATE STGPOOL commands to run
at particular times of day for as long as you have time available.

Easy as pie!