ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Storage agent to multiple library managers?

2007-11-15 11:46:18
Subject: [ADSM-L] Storage agent to multiple library managers?
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:56:34 -0500
Hello . . .

(I hope I can ask this without making it so confusing that
I don't even understand what I'm asking.)

We have 2 datacenters with a SAN connecting them. All tsm instances,
library manager instances, libraries, and drives are on this SAN.
The 3584 libraries at each datacenter have a local/dedicated
Library manager instance.  All tsm instances at each site can access all
tape drives at each site, via the appropriate library manager.  TSM servers
write backups to the local 3584, then make direct offsite copypools
to the remote library.

Say I have a node that performs lanfree backups to it's local
tsm server and 3584 library, and then the tsm server
creates the offsite copypool. All is good.

During a lanfree restore, IF a PRIMARY pool tape is not available and
a copy pool tape is used to access the data, that portion of the
restore will go LAN - no lanfree path to the offsite tape drives
or access to the offsite library manager instance.

q)  If I define the offsite library manager to the storage node and
paths to the offsite library drives, will the storage agent be able
to perform lanfree restore from the offsite copy pool?

This means that the storage agent will have 3 server-to-server setups:
   sta -- to -- tsm server for the node
   sta -- to -- onsite library manager (with appropriate paths)
   sta -- to -- offsite library manager (with appropriate paths)

Q)  Does this work?

Nothing I've read indicates that a storage agent can handle multiple
library manager instances.

Thanks

Rick

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.