ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Database move

2007-11-08 14:22:07
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Database move
From: "Strand, Neil B." <NBStrand AT LMUS.LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 13:20:57 -0500
Thomas,
   I would take issue with your statement of "poor support for platform
changes".  TSM provides a variety of options for planned changes to the
server platform as well as the storage media.

   Moving a node's data from one TSM server to another is as simple as
running "export nodedata...." from the old server to the new server.  I
have just completed a 40TB move for one client node and am moving
several others with virtually no impact to my production environment.
   A couple of months ago, I migrated over 400TB of data from a Storage
Tek library having both SDLT and LTO3 drives to an IBM TS3500 library
with TS1120 drives and encrypted all of the data while doing so.  This
was accomplished with minimal impact to my production system using the
"migrate storagepool..." command.  It could also have been done using
"move nodedata..." or the "move data..." commands.

  I am not a expert with other backup and recovery platforms so, cannot
comment on their ability to so easily change server platforms or media.
Perhaps another ADSM-L'er can supply their experiences with other
platforms.

Thank you,
Neil Strand
Storage Engineer - Legg Mason
Baltimore, MD.
(410) 580-7491
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic.