ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Fw: TDPO/LanFree setup questions

2007-11-05 19:20:05
Subject: [ADSM-L] Fw: TDPO/LanFree setup questions
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 19:19:12 -0500
Rick,

For the backups going LAN to your tape drives, and not LANFree, since you
are setup for LAN to your DASD pool, and initiating the session via LAN,
the LANFree agent won't be engaged, so when you spill over to tape, you're
still going over the LAN.  You have to send directly to a sequential pool
(tape or sequential disk with Sanergy) to get LANFree to work.

Don't forget, you don't send data to storage pool, you're sending it to a
management class, which specifies the storagepool to use.  So you can
direct the data to the appropriate location with INCLUDE statements.
Rather than cut/paste, here's the manual for "TSM for Databases 5.4.1 for
Oracle on Unix and Linux":  (Everyone know about the InfoCenter at:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v1r1/index.jsp ,don't
they???)

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v1r1/topic/com.ibm.itsmfd.doc/ab5u0003.pdf

Page 48 (64 in the PDF file) has examples for what you want to do.  With
the management classes configured on your TSM Server, you can have backups
LANFree to a tape pool and Logs go LAN to DASD.

Now, for Want #3, look at Page 52 in the manual (68 of the PDF file) and
see if that will do what you want it to.  It's not a separate TSM Server,
but it could be a storage pool on the "local" TSM Server that is located
elsewhere, and could use Virtual Volumes, if you so desire.

Nick Cassimatis

----- Forwarded by Nicholas Cassimatis/Raleigh/IBM on 11/05/2007 07:06 PM
-----

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 11/05/2007
02:48:35 PM:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> We're struggling on how to setup TDPO and LanFree.  Not the mechanics on
> making it work, but on the best way to use it.
>
> We would like to do the following:
>
> 1)  Oracle DB backups go LanFree straight to tape.
> 2)  Archive logs go LAN to a disk pool, then migrated to tape.
> 3)  Archive logs also go  immediately sent to a offsite TSM instance
(disk
> pool) (lan).
>
> If we set it up for lan to the disk pool, and then use the filesize
option
> to write big db files straight to tape, they still go
> LAN. . . not LanFree.  I read that TDPO/LanFree will honor incl/excl
> options with different management classes.  This
> sounds good, but all the data is coming from RMAN/TDPO. I don't know what
> would use for a incl/excl for the
> archive logs.
>
> Also, we would like to get an immediate offsite copy of archive logs.
> Again, we would like this offsite copy be
> to a disk pool so as not to wait for tape mounts and drive contention.
We