ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TS3500/3584 Partitioning Options?

2007-11-02 09:36:41
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TS3500/3584 Partitioning Options?
From: CAYE PIERRE <Pierre.Caye AT ALCATEL-LUCENT DOT FR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 14:36:07 +0100
There are two way to partition TS3500 :
Physical partitioning
Logical partitioning

Physical partitioning :
You decide how many drives are in each partition. For one partiton, all the
drives have to be contiguous, ie without gap. So maybe it is necessary to
redistribute drives (manage a gap between each range of drive...)
Then you decide the range of slot in each partition. In the same way, all slot
habe to be contiguous, without gap.
This partitioning is independant of cartridges barcode. You decide, each time
you introduce new cartridges, by which library it is owned.

Logical partitioning : You need an additional feature ALMS, ie Advanced Library
Manager
With that feature, you can design logical partition.
You decide freely which drive is owned by a partition
Slot atturbution is depending on barcode, so you have to manage strickly
cartridge barcode, because each barcode ranges are attributed by costumer rules
which library own the cartridge.
There are other possibility.

Take a look at IBM System Storage Tape Library Guide for Open Systems
(SG24-5946-04) where you will find everything about TS3500 and there secret
life...

Hope it will be usefull...

>From my experience, ALMS is very confortable, easy to configure, easy to
>manage.