ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] backup disk/backup tape

2007-10-31 17:45:04
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] backup disk/backup tape
From: Len Boyle <Len.Boyle AT SAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:43:16 -0400
Hello Tom

Interesting that the 3584 would load the tape in the gripper, you would think
that it would know what is in the I/O door.
I do not believe that we have seen this problem. We have seen tapes stuck in
the gripper, or gripper/hand hardware failures. But having a tape stuck in the
gripper did not stop the library as it has a second gripper.

What level of 3584 firmware are you using and do you have the ALMS feature.

- The ALMS feature is very nice, but most likely should have been included with
the base library. /*plug*/

- We did have a problem with an older level of firmware where the library would
move tapes to the I/O door.
The operators would open the I/O door and remove the tapes. Then the operators
would insert new tapes and close the door. If an inserted tape was removed in
the past with this procedure, it would think that the tape was a duplicate
because it did not register that the tapes had been removed from the I/O
station unless the I/O door was closed and the empty slots inventoried by the
library hand scanner.

This is something that they fixed.

len