ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Max. pct util for log

2007-10-30 00:46:14
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Max. pct util for log
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:45:45 -0500
.
First, consider not running in ROLLFORWARD mode. The log size limitation
of 13gb makes it difficult to run in ROLLFORWARD mode even in the best
of circumstances, once you reach a certain size.

Second, look for a client node who is doing this to you. Build a script
to capture the output of SHOW LOGPIN periodically and look for trends -
you may see one particular client node doing this to you over and over.
With our very large TSM system, the log filling up almost always means
that some one client is having a network slowdown problem. When that
client backs up a large file, the log becomes "pinned" and fills up.
Have your networking people look for "duplex mismatches" between the
various hops in the network between the client and the TSM server. (They
will know what that means.) A duplex mismatch may not affect typial use
of a network connection very much, such as web browsing or telnet/ssh,
but it can seriously slow down a streaming application like TSM Backup.
Consider using the throughput monitoring feature of the TSM server,
which will cancel sessions that cannot achieve a certain minimum
throughput.

==== When Plain Text is outlawed, only outlaws will use Plain Text =====