ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Scheduling a full archive of data once/month

2007-10-25 15:55:01
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Scheduling a full archive of data once/month
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:54:30 -0500
On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 09:49:00AM -0500, Joni Moyer wrote:
> I have just received the task of scheduling an archive of all data from
> several windows servers the first Saturday of every month for 7 years.
> What is the best method of accomplishing this?  I would like to do this
> from the TSM server which is an AIX 5.3 TSM 5.3.5.2 server.  Any
> suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I'd probably do this as backupsets in 5.4.  They're easy to generate
from the server, work from data already on the server, have their own
retention times different from the incremental values, are file-level
browsable in a ToC that lives in file space (not TSM DB-space) -- which
means you could offload them to tape, or leave the ToC on a disk/file
stgpool for quick access.  Backupsets have worked well as a point in
time archive on a few nodes of mine.

Dave