ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Using TSM Device Drivers - Path Offline

2007-10-15 16:46:31
Subject: [ADSM-L] Using TSM Device Drivers - Path Offline
From: "Hart, Charles A" <charles_hart AT UHC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 15:44:30 -0500
Ok, we're going nutz!!!  We have recently installed some Virtual Tape
Heads and they only emulate DLT Tape drives which means that we have to
create TSM sudo devices via smitt.  The challenge comes when the FC Port
bounces the we start getting the Path Not found errors...

Now we know we have to do the update drive in TSM to update the serial #
is TSM, but when we define the drive the Serial Number is set to
Autodetect, well it doesn't... What appears to be happening is the FC
port bounces and TSM can not find the Serial Number to update it
tooo....   The device Serial number is not visible @ the AIX level but
you can see it in TSM.

This is happening to us many times a day.  I imagine that we shouldn't
see FC port Logins much (working with our SAN team ) but every time the
port logs out then logs in the TSM Tape Device seems to be changing its
serial number... Arggggg!!!!!

Is anyone else having these challenges using the TSM device driver?

Info Below.........

Virtualized DLT Tape Drive OS Device Level

 rmt36
U7311.D20.1011DEB-P1-C06-T1-W10000000C9604A8C-L18000000000000  Other FC
SCSI Tape Drive

        Manufacturer................QUANTUM
        Machine Type and Model......DLT7000
        Serial Number...............
        Device Specific.(Z3)........7160

Have to use TSM Device Drivers
                               Library Name: PTLIB44
                                  Drive Name: DRIVE_PT0A8C
                                 Device Type: DLT
                                     On-Line: Yes
                                Read Formats:
DLT35C,DLT35,DLT20C,DLT20,DLT15C,DLT15,DLT10C,DLT10
                               Write Formats:
DLT35C,DLT35,DLT20C,DLT20,DLT15C,DLT15,DLT10C,DLT10
                                     Element: 18
                                 Drive State: EMPTY
                                 Volume Name:
                                Allocated to:
                                         WWN:
                               Serial Number: 4239566002
              Last Update by (administrator): UTILITY
                       Last Update Date/Time: 08/24/07   14:29:59
Cleaning Frequency (Gigabytes/ASNEEDED/NONE): NONE