ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 5.4 ANS1809W session loss

2007-09-27 21:12:40
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 5.4 ANS1809W session loss
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 21:10:16 -0400
On Sep 27, 2007, at 7:20 PM, Pahari, Dinesh P wrote:

I am running tsm 5.4.1 client on windows 2003 server and backing
this up
on tsm 5.4.0 server. Each night, backup starts and completes, but
before
submitting the backup summary report, the process hangs and stays on
this state until its cancelled..
Could anyone please shed some lights on this issue..
I have included dsmerror.log and dsmsched.log report  below for your
reference.

Dsmerror.log:
09/26/2007 20:02:18 sessSendVerb: Error sending Verb, rc: -50
09/26/2007 20:02:18 ANS1809W A session with the TSM server has been
disconnected. An attempt will be made to reestablish the connection.

I've taken the liberty of applying a Subject which better names this
new submission, away from the unrelated thread about tapes in filling
status.

The included client session information unfortunately does not reveal
why the sessions are being lost.  It could be the common preemption
scenario where a tape drive is needed by a higher priority client
action.  You'll need to look in the server Activity Log for this time
period to see what it has to say about its side of the client-server
sessions.  Make sure that your server IDLETimeout value is not set to
a much-too-small value.  Performing real-time Query SEssion commands
may help reveal what's going on.  If you want to dig deeper, try a
client trace.

Armed with the server info, you can search at the TSM Support Page
for possible fixes.  It appears that IBM has been tinkering with
timeout handling (PK52446 et al), and your server is at base level,
so there may be some fixes.

As a lesser reference, you could review experienced causes of the
message you are seeing, in http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts ,
or http://www.tsmwiki.com/tsmwiki .

   Richard Sims