ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] wait=yes timeout??

2007-09-19 19:02:58
Subject: [ADSM-L] wait=yes timeout??
From: "Taylor, David" <DTaylor AT WBMI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:45:40 -0500
Can anyone confirm that there is a 12 hour time limit for a scripted
dsmadmc command where "wait=yes" is set?

I have an AIX script that performs basically synchs up my production TSM
server with one at our DR site.  A portion of it is below.

---------------------------------------

# synch the primary and copy storage pools

# backup the TSM DBB to remote disk that appears local

# make sure devconfig and volhist files are up to date

dsmadmc -id=admin -pass=$TSMPWD "ba stg  collgoldprimarypool
collgoldcopypool maxpr=3 wait=yes"

dsmadmc -id=admin -pass=$TSMPWD "ba db type=full dev=remotedbbfileclass
wait=yes"

dsmadmc -id=admin -pass=$TSMPWD "ba devconfig"

dsmadmc -id=admin -pass=$TSMPWD "ba volhist"

An enormous amount of data came into the system last night and the
storage pool backup was taking a LONG time.  After running for almost
exactly 12 hours (I can get it down to within 22 seconds), I received an
"ANS1017E Session rejected..." error and the script continued
processing, however the storage pool backup still hadn't completed.
Basically the storage pool backup was orphaned and continued running
while the script went on to the database backup.

Because of the timing, I feel pretty confident that there must be a 12
hour timeout on a wait=yes, but would feel a lot better if someone could
confirm it.

I tried doing a lot of searches on it but couldn't find anything close
to an answer.

Thanks in advance!

David

the system manager.