ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ISC

2007-09-16 22:19:24
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ISC
From: Joerg Pohlmann <jpohlman AT CA.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 19:17:06 -0700
Well, I beg to differ. The ISC is superb if you take the time to learn it.
Most of the criticisms I see are history repeating itself - when the
saclient disappeared and the webadmin arrived, people complained immensely
about the lower functionality of the webadmin. If you take the time to
learn where things are to be found in the ISC/AC, you would find that
there is nothing simpler than the ISC to create a policy domain or to add
management classes, to manipulate client option sets, to register a client
node (it steps you through all the things you forget on the command line,
like the association to a schedule, the admin ID for the node, client
option set, etc.), and many other administrative functions. Likewise, the
interactive "reporting" link is incredibly valuable because you can sort
the columns to find the "heavy hitters" on the database or back-end
storage. There are many other shortcuts over the command line in the GUI
aspect of the ISC/AC. Even the command line function of the ISC is great -
double click for command recall, and scroll back and forth or ctrl+f to
find things in the output, for example a q act output. All that said, yes
I still use the command line dsmadmc with -consolemode to get a real-time
fly-by of what's happening in TSM (yes, a wish-list item for development
to put this into the ISC/AC). I also use the command line (dsmadmc)
because I can create an icon with a large scroll bar and customize the
size of the window. And yes, when you run a script, the output on the
command line is cleaner than that of the ISC/AC. After all that, go and
buy whatever add-on product you like, but don't just dismiss the ISC/AC -
take the time to learn it and use it to your advantage. You'd be surprised
how much it can boost your productivity.

Joerg Pohlmann

Francisco Molero <fmolero AT YAHOO DOT COM>
2007-09-16 15:55
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
ISC

I know there are a lot of people don't use the ISC because in my opinion
is useless. What is the best tool to administrate the TSM ?

TSMManager, Bocada, others...

Thanks

Sé un Mejor Amante del Cine
¿Quieres saber cómo? ¡Deja que otras personas te ayuden!
http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/reto/entretenimiento.html