ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] DB Backup to tape affect AIX Performance

2007-09-13 13:38:13
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] DB Backup to tape affect AIX Performance
From: Hans Christian Riksheim <HCR AT STERIA DOT NO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:35:34 +0200
Hi!

I'm almost certain that you have a memory problem. The high rootvg activity
indicates swapping.

Either you have too little memory or your AIX system is not properly tuned(or
not tuned at all).  My experience is that the last one is most frequent. You
should get an experienced AIX sysadmin to tune your system, most important is
to restrict the use of filesystem cache. There exists tuning tips on the
internet, but I recommend that a person that knowz what he is doing, to
implement it.

Also you should apply the latest maintenance level on the server as there are
some important fixes for the VMM(Virtual Memory Manager). Remember the "-r"
switch to the "oslevel" command to obtain the actual level.

Best regards

Hans Chr. Riksheim