ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM 5410 - how can I find the volume(s) on which stacked backsets are stored?

2007-09-09 16:58:08
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM 5410 - how can I find the volume(s) on which stacked backsets are stored?
From: Joerg Pohlmann <jpohlman AT CA.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 13:55:54 -0700
Hi Does anyone know how to determine the volume on which a backupset is
stored when a nodegroup containing several nodegroupmembers (i.e. a
stacked set of backupsets) is used.

For a single node , i.e. generate backupset nodename backupsetprefix ...
the old

select * from backupsets, volhistory where backupsets.date_time =
volhistory.date_time

worked very nicely before 5.4.1.0 (we even used to teach this select
statement in TSM classes). It still works when you do the generate
backupset nodename ... on 5.4.1.0. However, when you do a generate
backupset nodegroupname backupsetprefix ... the date_time stamp in the
backupsets table reflects the start of the backupset creation, whereas the
date_time in the volhistory table reflects the time of the completion of
the generate backupset nodegroupname ... process. If your practice is to
only have one generate backup nodegroupname ... per day, then a

select * from backupsets, volhistory where date(backupsets.date_time) =
date(volhistory.date_time)

will give you correct output. It still does not give you with absolute
certainty the volumes for an individual backupset when you do multiple
generate backupset nodegroupname ... on a given day.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Joerg Pohlmann
250-245-9863