ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Insight into improving restores needed

2007-09-06 13:23:13
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Insight into improving restores needed
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 13:21:03 -0400
The approach I've found usefull is to back into your TSM configuration.

Which systems are most important to recover, and is there a preferred
order?

Answering that may lead you to having co-located offsite copys; it may
also lead to having several off-site pools -- which require multiple
on-site pools -- which may require multiple disk pools and will require
multiple management classes.

Are there servers we will NEVER recover at D/R?

If so, you may not want to send copies offsite at all (we have systems
that can be recovered by cloning production data, so the test database
never gets copied for off-site) -- requiring still more management
classes.

Also, for the most part you do NOT want to watch the restore scroll on
the screen. We have one system that can restore in 20 minutes -- but
there are sooooo many files that the list will scroll for three hours.
Redirect the output to a flat file and tail the flat file. (The Sungard
AIX systems use version 4 or version 5 HMC, and the console window will
be driven by a 9600 bps connection on the version 4 systems).

We also run archives of the non-databse application file systems -- the
executables and such -- once a month. We retrieve the archive and then
do point-in-time restore of the filesystem. This has proven to be
significantly faster than just the PIT restore. (And another storage
pool set, and more management classes . . .)

Also, depending on your HA environment, you may find it works better to
restore your database before rebuilding the HA environment. Get the
servers up from sysback/mksysb, restvg the empty volume groups, restore
& recover the database, shut it down, configure HA, run an off-line
database backup, and then start for normal business.

In our recovery (mid-size manufacturing) we never rebuild the HA cluster
during the test runs. We might rebuild in the event of a true disaster,
but the jury is still out on that. In your case, I'd recommend
rebuilding HA, but probably after the recovery as I said above.

Good Luck!

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc