ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] FW: [ADSM-L] Data Deduplication

2007-08-29 18:47:27
Subject: [ADSM-L] FW: [ADSM-L] Data Deduplication
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:45:30 -0600

Wanda,

Thanks for your cogent analysis.  Always appreciated.

We're trying to decide if we need to offer a Data Domain sort of thing
to our customers.  In the very specific case you describe, perhaps.

I am 100% with you on the "why replicate backup" when you can more
easily replicate data?!  We're offering Compellent as our active data
repository and they have a very nice replication bit that is very
bandwidth friendly.  I think money is better spent there than on
replicating backup data.  But try convincing a customer that's had the
Kool-Aid that they don't want de-duplication!

Your comment about management classes is right on!  If you limit the
number of version of a db backup that you keep to something reasonable,
like seven, let's say and with a 1TB database (which is big!), then you
have 7TB worst case of duplicate data!  Let's see: that breaks down to
about 7 LTO4 tapes.  Or 10 750GB SATA drives.  Or 7 x $100 = $700 for
tape, plus slots of course so let's say $2000.  For disk, depending on
your vendor, that could cost between $3K and $8K (and if you're paying
more than that for SATA drives you perhaps ought to seek counseling!).
So how much would  you be willing to spend to reduce this cost?  No more
than $8K.  Does a DD cost less than that?  I'm not thinking so.  And
unless my math is way off you can make a reasonable argument against for
even more db data!'

It's all about mind share, isn't it?  Today, de-duplication is hot...

Kelly J. Lipp
VP Manufacturing & CTO
STORServer, Inc.
485-B Elkton Drive