ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Re: TSM install on ESX Linux help?

2007-08-27 15:39:51
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Re: TSM install on ESX Linux help?
From: David Bronder <david-bronder AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:37:36 -0500
An alternative in this particular case would be to install the RPM with
the "--nodeps" option to ignore dependencies.  AFAIK, the /usr/bin/ksh
dependency is only there for the dsmj Java GUI client wrapper script,
which isn't usable on ESX anyway since Java isn't installed (on either
2.x or 3.x of ESX).

One could argue that Tivoli should replace it with /bin/bash in the
Linux RPMs, since the Linux distributions supported by TSM have bash
installed by default, but not (necessarily) ksh.  In the case of ESX
3.x, VMware doesn't even provide any ksh RPM (I think they included
pdksh on the 2.5 CDs/ISOs, but didn't install by default).

The "enabler package" from VMware was to fix an X11 dependency with
ESX 3.0 and TSM 5.2 or earlier clients.  According to the VMware site,
it's not needed for TSM 5.3 clients or ESX 3.0.1 or newer.

--
Hello World.                                    David Bronder - Systems Admin
Segmentation Fault                                     ITS-SPA, Univ. of Iowa