ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] FW: TSM Server Sizing

2007-08-26 13:18:34
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] FW: TSM Server Sizing
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 13:16:14 -0400
Depending on what your main problems/issues are, I think this system
is VERY adequate, maybe even over sized.

I have TSM srever on p630  (7028-6C4) with 4x 1.45Ghz Procs and
8GB BRAM.  2-3TB on disk pool and the TSM DB on FASTT4300 Turbo.
Hav eONe 7311-D20 drawer with FC Adapters.

3584-L32 and (1) D52 Exp frame.  Have 12 LTO2 and 2 LTO3
drives.  Mostly LTO2 tapes, have 1100 tapes total onsite and
offsite.  Backup 2.5 TB per day and have 80TB onsite tape.
We do compression on tape.

And my system works fine, may upgrade my Disk pool later.

So, to your specs compared to mine.

1.  Tape.  If I went to LTO4 tapes, my 80TB (plus the same offsite)
would fit on probably 300tapes.  200TB then would need say 750 tapes,
maybe 800.  Also you shouldn't need 24 drives. And only 1 D52 frame
as 24 drives would fit on just 2 frames, base and exp and then tapes will
definitely fit in there also.

2.  Server.  A 4 way with 8-16GB would be very adequate.  But why
need (6) D20 drawers? Even if you put 1 tape drive per FC Adapter port,
the  24 drives would need 24 ports.  There are dual port 4 GB Adapters
now, and I think can get (6) in a D20 (double check that,  not completely
sure of IBM specs on that).  So only (2) D20 drawers would support 24 drives.

24 drives - maybe you have a lot of restore requests?  Or use HSM?

You say this is for 2010?  Let's see, they will have LTO6 or so by then also.

3.  Other thoughts.  Is money any object?  If not, I may send you my resume!
(A Bunch of others on this list may too!)  Unless you are direct connecting all
devices to TSM, you also need budget for SAN switches.
And don't forget TSM licenses!  Also Disaster Recovery, High Availability
and related items.

You didn't mention much else about environment.  How many clients, what type.
Doing backups only or archives also.  Do you do many restores?
Planning to have multiple instances of TSM Server (My comments about server
oversized might go away if you are planning multiple instances.)

Based on what you provided though, I think most experienced folks on this
email list would agree with my comments, with only minor differences.  And
if you get the system you mentioned, you will be the envy of most out there!

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> "Lamb, Charles P." <cplamb AT NPPD DOT COM> 8/26/2007 11:31 AM >>>
> Hi..........
>
> We are struggling on sizing a future TSM system.  Is there any
> programs which would help on sizing a future TSM server??  We predict
> the change data of the our TSM system would see 3TB of daily data
> change in YR2010.  We predict that a library would need about 200TB of
> tape capacity.  Our off-site storage capability should also be 200TB
> of tape capacity.  Here is our shoot of sizing our TSM server.  Should
> this be the size of the TSM server??

IBM 9133-55A w/6-IBM 7311-D20 drawers 8-WAY 1.9GHZ w/32GB of memory. IBM
3584-L32 & 3-IBM 3584-D32 library having 24-LTO4 tape drives and about
2000 LTO4 tapes on-site and off-site.  10GB & 1GB network connections.
4TB of disk cache from IBM DS4800 w/IBM SVC system.

#####################################
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message
in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it
from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in this message
are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of
a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by
the entity to give such views or opinions.