ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Error aborts backup, instead of missing a file: right, wrong, indifferent?

2007-08-24 14:18:32
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Error aborts backup, instead of missing a file: right, wrong, indifferent?
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:16:26 -0400
>> On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 13:16:10 -0400, Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU> said:

> I would want to, as wild stuff like this may signal file system
> corruption, which I would want called out and addressed ASAP.
> Bizarre inode data is scary stuff.  If there is file system
> corruption, you definitely don't want further backups sending new
> Active files containing useless crud, thus displacing the earlier
> versions of the file(s), which may contain good data, which you may
> well want for restoral.  At a minimum, I would investigate how those
> files entered the file system.

I have the same initial response.  We know how they got there: this is
a computer-science research group's filesystem, and they're writing
stuf.... shall I say, "unusually" ?  :)

But while the discussion goes on about how one ought to write files,
it'd be nice to be able to tell TSM "Carry on".

- Allen S. Rout