ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Multi-Core CPU usage on TSM Linux x86_64 server

2007-08-20 15:38:00
Subject: [ADSM-L] Multi-Core CPU usage on TSM Linux x86_64 server
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:36:31 -0400
I realize that some of this has been discussed before, but I can seem to
find a thread on it and management is looking for
recommendations/thoughts/feedback.

On our new, big, beefy Dell 2900 TSM server (8GB RAM, 2-Quad-Core Xeon
processors) , we are seeing some high CPU spikes and are wondering why.

Management wants to know, does the TSM server make good use of the
multi-core/cpu hardware?

Yes we realize that I/O is the main factor, especially with 225+ clients,
although the daily backup load is < 2TB)

This is TSM 5.4.0 x86_64 on RedHat 4.   Going to upgrade to 5.4.1 soon.

I have gone through all the various TSM tuning guides/slideshows and we
are set for all optimal/recommended values.  DBBuffsize is at 768MB (some
books I see talk about 1/8 to 1/2 of the memory, not to exceed 1GB). The
database is divided into 20GB chunks.

Zoltan Forray
Virginia Commonwealth University
Office of Technology Services