ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Oracle rman and tdp out of sync

2007-08-07 14:54:33
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Oracle rman and tdp out of sync
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 14:52:52 -0400
-----Shawn Geil wrote: -----

>I have found that my DBA was not deleting backups from TSM via RMAN
>when removing the backup from the control file.  I now have that
>issue corrected. I am having some challenges getting the orphaned
>backups out of TSM however.
>
>Environment:
>Oracle 9.2 on AIX 5.2
>TSM 5.2 on AIX 5.1
>TDP 5.2
>no catalog using the control file
>
>We have tried doing an RMAN crosscheck but it only finds the
>backups in the control file not the ones only in TSM. We do have
>delete obsolete now working correctly to handle the backup in both
>the control file and TSM.
>
>I have been reading about tdposync but that only looks to work if
>you are using the RMAN catalog. Is this correct and if so does
>anyone know of another method to clear these up.  I have seen the
>delete object information but would prefer not to use an
>unsupported undocumented command.

I think you can get away with the following:

1.Rename the filespace (for example, /PAYROLL to /PAYROLL.OLD) just
  before running a full backup.
2.Wait for a time equal to your retention period.
3.Delete the renamed filespace.

You will probably get some messages about attempts to delete objects
that do not exist on the TSM server (because the client is trying to
delete the objects from the new filespace created by the full backup
and the objects are really in the renamed filespaces). I don't think
this will prevent the backups from working.

If you end up wanting to restore the database to a state prior to the
full backup mentioned above you will need to rename the new filespace
and rename the old filespace back to its original name.