ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM vs. Legato Networker Comparison

2007-08-02 11:15:18
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM vs. Legato Networker Comparison
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 11:12:23 -0400
If memory serves me, this is the way ADSM licensing was back in the
1.2 days.  Except back then I believe the server would eventually cut
you off if you ran out of license, and you couldn't just register
another license without paying for it.

IMHO, the danger with capacity-based (or data-based) licensing is
that we get more data every year and the cost of storage goes down
every year.  The expectation should be that the capacity-based
license fees should go down every year to compensate for the
growth.  But if the vendor choose to not lower the license fee rates,
then they automatically get a bump in revenue by default, without
having done anything.

I'll agree with others who have said that any licensing scheme should
be relatively easy to figure out, and the current scheme is not.  If
TSM provided the information (e.g., via Q LIC), then I think most
folks would be a lot happier about the new scheme.

..Paul