ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] label with six number

2007-08-01 11:50:24
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] label with six number
From: CAYE PIERRE <Pierre.Caye AT ALCATEL-LUCENT DOT FR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 17:33:04 +0200
Hi,

On all IBM Libraries, the default is to report 8 char volser to hosts
The 6 first characters are the label by itself, as recorded on the barcode.
The two last characters indicates the cartridge type, ie L1 for LTO1, L3 for
LTO and so, and it is recorded on the barcode too.
It is common to use, on Backup server, only the 6 first digits of the label to
record the magnetic label ie the label of the cartridge by itself.
The recommandation is to manage the volser reporting at library level, to
centralize and avoid managment problems at the OS level.
So check through the managment interface of your librairy for options speaking
of volser reporting and make your choice...
Then don't forget to run a label on your TSM server to ensure that all the
cartridges are correctly labeled.
If your magnetic label isn't the reflect of the volser adjustement, you will
encounter problems, especially if you run any audit library on your server.
If you have volumes already labeled with 8 char, you must move datas to
libvolumes correctly labeled and therefore relabel empty cartridges

Pierre