ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Newbie question about version numbers and amount of backups

2007-07-30 18:39:11
Subject: [ADSM-L] Newbie question about version numbers and amount of backups
From: miggiddymatt <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 12:48:49 -0700
I haven't actually used TSM very much (my organization has an employee that
just works with TSM), but I was wondering what solutions there were for
implementing something similar to a grandfather/father/son rotation scheme for
keeping files that my organization backs up.

I've asked our TSM person for suggestions, but she's telling me that our only
option is to save 5 or 7 copies of a file.  We don't have agents or the like
for SQL servers, so currently we do a dump every night that gets backed up by
TSM.  For many of my systems, this means we only have a backup of 5 or 7 days.

Currently my only option is to append the date onto the dump which forces TSM
to keep it as a seperate file each day.  Is there any way to just keep
different dates of the same file without me having to go back to my 75 SQL
servers and change the job so that the date is on the end of each filename?
Thanks in advance for the help.