ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Backup during Restore

2007-07-24 15:27:20
Subject: [ADSM-L] Backup during Restore
From: rjohnso <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 07:30:52 -0700
Hi

I've come across a problem starting a new backup while a restore of older data
to a different server is running.

Background:
1. Server1 runs an incremental backup nightly.
2. I run a point-in-time restore of a server1 filesystema to server2
filesystemb from a few days earlier.  In case it matters, this was a lan-free
backup and a lan-free restore.

run on server2, the target:

dsmc restore -se=server2_inst /filesystema -fromnode=server1 -pitd=07/14/2007
-pitt=06:00:00 -sub=yes -replace=yes /filesysemb

The restore is still running when it is time for the nightly backup of server1
to run.  This nightly backup fails with an error message telling me that a
restore is running and needs to be cancelled or completed for the backup to run.

Is this to be expected?  I am restoring data from an earlier backup onto a
different server.  What does it matter if I am running a new backup of server1?

Thanks!
Ray Johnson
First Consulting Group
Office: 212-523-1029