ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 3494 LAN port initialization

2007-07-11 12:38:32
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 3494 LAN port initialization
From: Keith Arbogast <warbogas AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:36:05 -0400
Zoltan,
Thank you for that. I missed your previous reply, and could not find
it in the Archives. The Service menu is an interesting and scary
place to be.

We were able to get the port to initialize finally. The key seemed to
be getting the IDENTIFIER paramter in /etc/ibmatl.conf to match the
host name/ip number in /etc/hosts for the interface that was
communicating with the 3494.  I also used the host name in /etc/hosts
for the LAN Host name I configured on the 3494, but that doesn't seem
to be a requirement. Nothing is in DNS. Communication between the TSM
server and the 3494 is on a private network. We used tcpdump to watch
the packets pass between the 3494 and the new server, and then
checked how different IDENTIFIER settings affected the status of
lmcpd (atldd). A mis-configured /etc/lmcpd program will de-initialize
the corresponding Host LAN port, while a correctly configured one
will initialize it directly.

I also added an iptables rule to allow incoming packets from the 3494
to the specific interface. That was;
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -i eth2 -s 123.456.789.1 -j ACCEPT.

Before all of that, I had mistakenly mimicked the Host LAN setup of
our two AIX TSM servers already using the 3494. Their LAN host names
have no relation to their IDENTIFIER parameters in their ibmatl.conf
files. Moreover, they use the same IDENTIFIER name. So, I used it too
for the new server, thinking it was somehow required. For me, it was
part of the problem.

With best wishes,
Keith Arbogast
Indiana University