ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM library master on seperate instance in master/client configuration ??

2007-06-27 09:11:51
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM library master on seperate instance in master/client configuration ??
From: Stefan Folkerts <stefan.folkerts AT ITAA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 15:10:41 +0200
Hi guy's,

I am working with one of our customers to redesign some parts of their
TSM environment.
They currently have one TSM server on the pSeries platform server a
fairly large amount of LAN clients and some lanfree

storage agents for Oracle TDP's.
Data is stored on a IBM 3584 library with 12 LTO3 drives.

The database is getting to the size that we have decided to build a
second TSM server to split the load and TSM DB

utilisation.
There will be a seperate pSeries server that runs the new TSM instance,
it will be connected to the same IBM 3584 as the first

TSM server.
I understand that the reason people build a second instance is for two
reasons, one being performance (large db's are

significantly slower than small ones) and availablity (an audit on a
very large db creates a large amount of down time for ALL

clients).

There are no ALM features on the IBM 3584, customer is not planning on
getting these if they don't prove to be a nessecity for

there wishes.

If we make a master / client construction and the master needs an audit
db both servers can't access tape devices without

reconfiguring the server, this makes a portion of the reason for
spliting TSM go away.

Here comes the question :

What if we define a third instance (as a second instance on the new TSM
server) that becomes the library master only?

TSM instances
1 - full TSM server, used for lanfree and lan clients - library client
2 - full TSM server, used for lanfree and lan clients - library client
3 - library master only - no clients will backup to this server

This way if the first TSM server is down the second full TSM server can
still access the drives thru the library master

instance.
The instance won't server any real clients, just serve tape drives.

What would be the advantages and disadvantages of this solution?

Please advice.

Thanks in advance,

   Stefan