ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] DB2 V8.2 backups and TSM

2007-06-22 12:35:44
Subject: [ADSM-L] DB2 V8.2 backups and TSM
From: Bob Booth <booth AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 11:34:42 -0500
I have just been handed a project to start backups for a DB2 database.  Does
anybody have experience (and can share it), about how to manage the
Archive logs?  I noticed that things have changed between DB2 V8.1 and V8.2
in regard to the logs, but it does not seem to be very well documented.

One of the comments that I noticed, that is different than the Redbook, and
the documentation, is the fact that you can now manage the archived logs
using a TSM retention policy (as opposed to 'NOLIMIT', and using some kludgy
script to run db2adutl delete).  Also the V8.2 references about db2adutl
deleting backups and archive logs immediately seem to be incorrect.

We are running DB2 V8.2 on Solaris, TSM 5.3.4 API/Client, and TSM 5.3.4 server
on AIX.

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

TIA,

Bob Booth
UIUC