ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Maybe a help? A BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, GUIDE TO MANAGING PRICE CHANGES

2007-06-16 22:41:16
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Maybe a help? A BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, GUIDE TO MANAGING PRICE CHANGES
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 22:40:13 -0400
>> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:39:02 -0500, David Moring <david AT BACKUPINSIGHT DOT
>> COM> said:

> A BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, GUIDE TO MANAGING PRICE CHANGES

[...]

Thanks, David.  But I see this as largely skew to the issue at hand
here.  The problem is not that the price is high, or even that the
metric is different.  The problem is that evaluating the metric
represents large amounts of new work, all of which emphasises the
disconnect between the metric and the value proposition.

If they'd changed from per-node to per-TB (for example), then I think
we would have seen an entirely conventional wave of grumbling, just as
you describe.  I don't even know what the new rates would be for us.
I am most definitely not complaining that "the price went up".

The metric they care about is one which requires new irrelevant
effort, when it could be trivially reported by the client libraries
we're already installing.  It adds insult to inconvenience.

- Allen S. Rout