ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ALL Tapes known to TSM

2007-06-14 09:29:51
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ALL Tapes known to TSM
From: Daad Ali <daad_l AT YAHOO DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:28:52 -0400
Thank you very much Robben, this helps a great deal.
  I only see a handful of the 100 or so tapes int he DR media list.
  This tells me that the rest are not useful at this point!

  thanks again,
  Daad

Robben Leaf <robben.leaf AT USBANK DOT COM> wrote:
  Welcome to the community, Daad!

1- TSM classifies tapes in three partially-overlapping ways: LIBVOL's are
the tapes that TSM knows about in an attached tape library; a "Q LIBVOL"
will show these volumes, including scratch tapes, and other tapes in the
library that aren't in storage pools. VOL's are all volumes (including disk
volumes) that are in any storage pools; "Q VOL" will show all of these
volumes. Scratch tapes aren't in storage pools. DRMEDIA are tapes that are
in any copy storage pools, plus any database backups (which aren't in
storage pools), whether these tapes are in the librarey or off site; "Q
DRMEDIA" will show all of these tapes. Between these three commands, you
should get all of the tapes that TSM knows about, many of them more than
once.

2- If a tape shows up as type=STGNEW in the volhistory, it's been checked
in as a new, empty volume; TSM doesn't know about any data that might be on
it.

If the TSM database doesn't know about the data on a volume, it won't be
able to get any data off of that volume. There are two exceptions: One, if
node data was exported to a tape with the "EXPORT NODE" command; then, the
"IMPORT NODE" command can be used to extract the information even if the
TSM database doesn't know about it. Two, if a backupset was made using
"GENERATE BACKUPSET", the client can restore the data directly from the
tapes the data was written to.

Hope this helps!

Robben Leaf
Enterprise Storage Backup and Retention
651-962-2698
robben.leaf AT usbank DOT com

"Daad Ali"

Sent by: "ADSM: To
Dist Stor ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Manager" cc
.EDU> Subject
[ADSM-L] ALL Tapes known to TSM

06/13/2007 02:28
PM

Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor
Manager"
.EDU>

a couple of newbie questions,

1- How can I list ALL the tapes that are known to TSM (onsite, offsite,
drm, scratch ..etc)?

2- If a tape shows as STGNEW, will the data in it be recoverable?

To give a little bit of history...
I have a bunch of tapes, I am told used to belong to this TSM server as
exchange and SQL server backups and I can olny find them in the volume
history file as STGNEW. I don't see them as with q vol.

Once again, thanks a bunch.

Best regards,
Daad

---------------------------------
Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to Yahoo!
Answers.

Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains
information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications privacy
laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the
intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from
retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this
information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have
received this communication in error, and then immediately delete it. Thank you
in advance for your cooperation.

 All new Yahoo! Mail -