ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Poor TSM server performance on Sun.

2007-06-13 11:48:07
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Poor TSM server performance on Sun.
From: Mark Stapleton <mark.s AT EVOLVINGSOL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:44:48 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager on behalf of Richard Sims
On May 20, 2007, at 8:50 AM, Michael Bartl wrote:
> But the good thing is, that (even without a reason) the problems were
> gone when we started to use raw devices instead of filesystems. ...

Makes one wonder if excessive, delayed file system sync operations
were the issue, in writes.  This might be tested by performing pure
read operations in the file system ('cp SomeFile /dev/null' is a
basic test, versus copying file to file).

I realize I'm chiming in very late on this one, but that is a consistent
problem with using Solaris boxes as TSM servers. Mounted filesystems give much,
much slower performance than raw filesystems for the database, recovery log,
and storage pools.

If it's Sun, it needs to be raw.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.s AT evolvingsol DOT com)
Senior consultant