ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] New Linux server issues

2007-06-08 06:54:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] New Linux server issues
From: Hans Christian Riksheim <HCR AT STERIA DOT NO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 12:52:58 +0200
The cost of IBM-boxes, which you base your whole argument on, is listed
on www.ibm.com. If you had taken a few minutes to check it out you would
have found that the cost has been reduced significantly the last couple
of years.

In our TSM environment the cost and maintenance of the AIX TSM-servers
is about 5-10% of the total cost, excluding software licenses and the
man hours to keep the TSM environment running. Saving a few dollars by
using Intel/Linux-combo is totally out of the question.  In our
experience the AIX-server is absolutely trouble free and it's superior
to Intel/Linux when it comes to handling I/O. In fact I would choose
Windows before Linux to avoid the device driver "kernel panic" nightmare
horror stories I so often hear about.

When you say that "the project would have to go HORRIBLY wrong before he
go to the point that it would be cheaper to stick with AIX", I have to
ask what your backup is worth in the first place. Mabybe you should
consider not backing up your systems at all and save some trouble.

"He could probably spend 6 man months working on this problem before
he'd approach the cost differential between a single Linux and AIX
server."

Sure, but not in the real world.

Best regards

Hans Chr. Riksheim