ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] expiring older versions of files

2007-06-04 12:02:09
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] expiring older versions of files
From: Avy Wong <AWong AT MOHEGANSUN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 11:40:21 -0400
Hello Andrew,
      Thank you for clarifying this for me. I agree.  I am going to create
a new management class and try it this way.

Avy Wong
Business Continuity Administrator
Mohegan Sun
1 Mohegan Sun Blvd
Uncasville, CT 06382
ext 28164

             Andrew Raibeck
             <storman AT US DOT IBM.C
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: [ADSM-L] expiring older
                                       versions of files

             06/03/2007 12:24
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Hello Avy,

Backup versions are bound to a given management class. The backup
copygroup for that management class dictates the retention of the data
based on the VEREXISTS, VERDELETED, RETEXTRA, and RETONLY settings.

So if you have these settings configured for 7-day retention, then the
deletion should take care of itself (provided that you run inventory
expiration on a regular basis).

For example, the following settings will allow you to keep up to 7 days
worth of backups (unlimited versions, but no version older than 7 days):

VEREXISTS=NOLIMIT
VERDELETED=NOLIMIT
RETEXTRA=7
RETONLY=7

Also note that TSM *always* keeps the latest backup version as long as the
file exists; this would be the "active" backup version. This is regardless
of the above settings, which apply only to "inactive" versions (versions
that are not active).

With all of the above in mind, the members of this list could provide much
better aid if you could provide more details of your scenario, and how it
might vary from the above rules.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead

http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2007-06-02
16:23:54: