ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Mixing drive types in logical library 3584

2007-06-03 07:41:37
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Mixing drive types in logical library 3584
From: William Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 07:40:45 -0400
I have a 3583 with 3 LTO1 drives and 1 LTO3. I have 2 devclass's defined with
FORMAT=ULTRIUMC and FORMAT=ULTRIUM3C and stgpools
defined to use the specific type. I notice that if I had specified
FORMAT=DRIVES, then it was possible that when asking for a
scratch that I would get an LTO1 when I really wanted an LTO3 for that stgpool.
The documentation does state that using mixed drive
types you should not specify FORMAT=DRIVE.

The main problem I ran in to was that I was unable to issue any commands that
would copy/move the data from LTO1 to LTO3. The
process would sit in a waiting for mountpoint and never finish. I opened a PMR
and it went all the way up to the developers. The PMR
was closed as a documentation "fix" that said to FULLY support mixed drive
types in a library you must logically partition the
library to separate the drives in different partitions. They said that the
algorithm for device allocation would need a significant
overhaul so they were changing the documentation. This was probably about a
year ago I posted this to ADSM-L. Try searching the
archives for my posts.

Bill Boyer
"Experience is a comb nature gives us after we go bald." - ??