ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] AW: Point in time restore problem

2007-05-30 10:29:48
Subject: [ADSM-L] AW: Point in time restore problem
From: Salak Juraj <J.Salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 16:26:33 +0200
Dear Paul,

you beeing unhappy with the product
may want to re-think either of usage of TSM at all at your site
or the necessity  of the MODE=ABSOLUTE backup.

I do not know anybody who generaly does regulare "absolute" backups in TSM for
reasons you mentioned.
For me, I had performance problem when restoring desktop and "\documents and
settings\" data from PC-clients.
In contrast toyour mailing it was not caused by "traversing recovery log", but
by search times on LTO tapes.
I solved my problem by placing backups of data concerned on a  TSM DISK-based
storage pool.
This was quite simple & perfect solution for my scenario&problem.

As far as I understood your epxlanation you merely  want to use "absolute"
because "you have been told that.. etc. etc."

I strongly believe that an general and unevaluated  "beeing told that"
is neither a sound reason to express either positive or negative verdicts of
anything, including but not restricted to TSM,
nor a wise motivation to do something in a particular way.

best regards

Juraj Salak, Austria

Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten
haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail.
Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht
gestattet.

notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised
forbidden.