ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Point in time restore problem

2007-05-26 21:00:27
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Point in time restore problem
From: Paul Dudley <pdudley AT ANL.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 10:59:20 +1000
>From what I read the standard incremental backup is restricted in that
it only backs up new or changed files since the last incremental backup.

However I have been told that we need to run "absolute" incremental
backups on a periodic basis - these incremental backups backup all files
whether they have changed or not, so that the "Last Incr Date" is
updated, so that "Point in time" restores don't have to traverse through
a huge transaction log and spend long periods of time restoring files
that were later deleted.

I quote from the dsmc help option for incremental backups:

Mode:
Permits you to back up only files that changed since the
last backup (modified). Also permits you to back up the
files whether they changed or not (absolute).

What I want to know is if you can run an absolute backup from the
command line on the client server.

The end result I want to achieve from all of this, is to run full
backups on a periodic basis so that when I have to perform a "Point in
time" restore it does it quickly and does not have to traverse a huge
transaction log and restore files that were later deleted.

Regards
Paul

ANL - CELEBRATING 50 YEARS

ANL DISCLAIMER
This e-mail and any file attached is confidential, and intended solely to the
named addressees. Any unauthorised dissemination or use is strictly prohibited.
If you received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by
return e-mail from your system. Please do not copy, use or make reference to it
for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any person.