ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] DRM Plan use in DR Test

2007-05-21 13:38:47
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] DRM Plan use in DR Test
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 13:37:34 -0400
Over the years the method has been different. These days I have a script
that does a full backup of the TSM database, then the one below to
capture relevent config files on the TSM Server. These are rcped to
another server in a remote location.

Our DR is to restore the databse to a instance on TSM in another
location, and plug in the current config files. We do have the DR module
licensed, but other than the prepare for documentation we do not use
it.

dsmcad script is just: dsmadmc -id=admin -pa=<your password>
-displaymode=table $1

#!/bin/ksh
# Last updated:  5/16/2007: L.C.
# =============================================
# Back up ADSM DB and files needed for recovery
# Version for afternoon backups
# ============================================
echo "_________________________________________________________\n"

/home/root/bin/dsmcmd "backup db devclass=adsmdbbk type=full"

echo "STARTING THE PM TSM SERVER COMPONENTS BACKUP"
date
echo "_________________________________________________________\n"
rm /dbdrbk/afternoon/*
# /home/root/bin/dsmcmd "backup db devclass=adsmdbbk type=full"
echo "Update ADSM device config file (devconfig.info)...\n"
date
/home/root/bin/dsmcmd "backup devconfig"
echo "Update ADSM volume history file (volhistory.info)...\n"
date
/home/root/bin/dsmcmd "backup volhistory"
sleep 60
echo "COPYING FILES TO ADSMDBBK DIRECTORY FOR BACKUP"
FILES="/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/dsmserv.dsk \
/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/dsmserv.opt        \
/home/root/tsmfiles/devconfig.info      \
/home/root/tsmfiles/inclexcl.list      \
/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm.sys \
/home/root/tsmfiles/dsm.opt      \
/home/root/tsmfiles/volhistory.info"
cp $FILES /tsmdbbackup
echo "___________________________________________________________\n"
date
echo "END OF ADSM SERVER COMPONENT BACKUP FOR TODAY"
echo "___________________________________________________________\n"
echo "now creating DRM PLAN FILE"
rm /home/root/recoveryplan/*
/home/root/bin/dsmcmd "prepare"
sleep 600
cp /home/root/recoveryplan/* /tsmdbbackup
echo "Current TSM backup files:\n"
ls -la /tsmdbbackup/*
#
cp  /tsmdbbackup/*  /dbdrbk/afternoon
ls -la /dbdrbk/afternoon/*
rm getday
date +%j>>getday
LOGDAY=$(<getday)
echo "This LOG file is at /workarea/LOGS/ADSM."$LOGDAY
mv /workarea/LOGS/ADSM /workarea/LOGS/ADSM.$LOGDAY
lp -t"OFFSITE"  /workarea/LOGS/ADSM.$LOGDAY

>>> Chip.Bell AT BHSALA DOT COM 05/21/07 1:38 PM >>>
Our TSM server is on AIX. The question I have is: Do I need to run a
mksysb
daily (rotating on a seven-day schedule) to keep the DRM plan
(including
scripts to explode) offsite going forward? How are some of you
guys/gals
getting your DRM plan offsite so that you can use it upon restore your
OS and
before diving into the TSM database restore? We have a relationship
with Iron
Mountain (offsite) and Sungard (DR), if that helps. Thanks!

God bless you!!!

Chip Bell
Network Engineer I
IBM Tivoli Certified Deployment Professional
Baptist Health System
Birmingham, AL

Confidentiality Notice:
confidential information and intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named in the address. If you are not the
distribution, or copying of this information is strictly
prohibited. If you received this information in error, please
notify the sender and delete this information from your computer
and retain no copies of any of this information.

contain information that is confidential, privileged, and/or otherwise exempt
from disclosure under applicable law.  If this electronic message is from an
attorney or someone in the Legal Department, it may also contain confidential
attorney-client communications which may be privileged and protected from
disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have
received this message in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,
printing, or copying is strictly prohibited.  Please notify the New York State
Thruway Authority immediately by either responding to this e-mail or calling
(518) 436-2700, and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.