ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Splitting/Sharing a 3494 Library between 2-Library Managers

2007-05-21 09:33:44
Subject: [ADSM-L] Splitting/Sharing a 3494 Library between 2-Library Managers
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 09:32:57 -0400
I want to run this idea by the experts, to make sure I am not spinning my
wheels or really far off base.

I currently have an AIX TSM server as the sole library manager for this
3494.  I need to migrate everything off to a new Linux servers.

I want to move the library management function to this new server,
gradually, and migrate the nodes and some of the data (some folks have
elected to just flush existing backups and start anew).

This is how I want to do this.

1.  Add the new server as an LM to the 3494.
2.  Remove 1-drive from the AIX TSM server.
3.  Define the 3494 to the Linux server, making it the owner/share(r),
with a unique category code-pair, of course.
4.  Define the removed drive to the Linux server and do all the other
stuff like stgpools, etc.
5.  Checkin/initialize tapes in the 3494 to the Linux server.
6.  Start migrating nodes. The new server has a 5TB LZ so I won't be using
tape, much, during the migration.
7.  Rinse-lather-repeat as more nodes are moved, moving more drives as
needed.

Any major problems with this method ?   Will it work ?

Zoltan Forray
Virginia Commonwealth University
Office of Technology Services
University Computing Center