ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 10 Gbit ethernet

2007-05-17 20:55:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 10 Gbit ethernet
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 02:54:43 +0200
Keith Arbogast wrote:
> Is anyone running TSM over 10 Gbit ethernet?  Is there any question
> that it would be supported?
>
> We have two data centers about 60 miles apart. We are planning to
> send backup files from each data center to a 3584 ATL in the other
> via a 10 Gbit ethernet link. The server hardware would be HP DL585-
> G2's with Myricom 10 Gbit NICs and 2.6 Ghz AMD processors. The
> operating system would be Redhat EL 4.
>
> If anyone else has experience with TSM and 10 Gbit ethernet we would
> be glad to hear about it.

First of all, TSM doesn't care about the ethernet or any other medium,
it does care about IP, so 10 GE is just as fine as anything that meets
your bandwidth requirements.

Now, you do probably need to do some IP tuning to get things to perform.
TSM transfers huge amounts of data in one stream, making it a prime
candidate for jumbo-frames. Since each frame eats cpu time, bigger
frames are better. You also need an huge TCP window for the long
distance. You could probably, if you have a dedicated link, tune your
TCP stack to drop back less than 50% on a packet loss (say 10-20%). In
this way you could possibly get the best there is to get from your hardware.

Now, you'll probably want to do a lot of tuning at your TSM servers as
well, lots of memory, lots of Db spindles and a quite number of fast
HBAs to connect to your tape and disk-drives.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167
PGP Key fingerprint = 6367 DFE9 5CBC 0737 7D16  B3F6 048A 02BF DC93 94EC

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams