ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Server migration

2007-05-16 14:37:31
Subject: [ADSM-L] Server migration
From: "Haberstroh, Debbie (IT)" <HABERDE AT VOUGHTAIRCRAFT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 13:35:10 -0500
I am looking at different options to migrate data from our current server,
version 5.3.3 to a second TSM server, 5.3.5.  Actually the new server will have
2 instances of TSM running and I will need to divide the clients between the 2,
the old one will be retired.  I have several different paths that I can follow
and am trying to get a little more detailed information so I know we can decide
on which method to use.

If I want to migrate server-to-server does the data go into the disk storage
pool for the node first and then copy off to tape?
I am using the same library and tapes for the new server that the current
server uses, will the new server keep the tapes I already have for the node or
will it write new ones?

I know there is a lot more to this, I'm just trying to find out how some of the
processes work.

Debbie Haberstroh
Server Administration
Northrop Grumman Information Technology