ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] NDMP error ANR4950E when upgrading EMC Celerra DartOS

2007-05-08 13:22:45
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] NDMP error ANR4950E when upgrading EMC Celerra DartOS
From: Charles A Hart <charles_hart AT UHC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 12:22:04 -0500
Thank you for sharing... it seems rare that people come back and port the
resolutions!

Thanks again!

Charles Hart
UHT - Data Protection
(763)744-2263
Sharepoint:
http://unitedteams.uhc.com/uht/EnterpriseStorage/DataProtection/default.aspx

"Schneider, John" <schnjd AT STLO.MERCY DOT NET>
05/08/2007 11:20 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] NDMP error ANR4950E when upgrading EMC Celerra DartOS

Greetings,

I posted this problem over a month ago, and no one at the time had a
resolution, although a few had seen it before.  I thought I would share
the solution, provided by a joint effort between IBM and EMC (with me in
the middle, furiously emailing back and forth).

Last night the 4.5TB backup of /fs_dst successfully completed! This is
the first full backup to complete with TOC=Y since the upgrade of our
Celerra. A couple hours after that the regular differential backup
schedule also ran successfully.

What solved our problem was enabling NDMP Snapsure on the Celerra, a new
feature of DartOS 5.5.25.  On the Celerra Management console issue:

server_param server_X -facility NDMP -modify snapsure -value 1

where "server_X" is the Datamover to be changed.

Once this is set, any NDMP backup from then on will create a temporary
checkpoint filesystem (snap) for the backup, unless the calling backup
software says not to.  Since TSM doesn't specify it either way, the
Celerra will create the checkpoint by default.  The NDMP backup proceeds
using the checkpoint filesystem instead of the original, so the
filesystem doesn't change during the backup, and the TOC creation works
successfully.  When the backup completes, the checkpoint filesystem is
automatically deleted.

Once the parameter is set, you can confirm it is working by issuing the
command:

server_df server_X

on the Celerra management console while a backup is running.  You will
see the temporary checkpoint filesystem the Celerra created (along with
all the others).  The only issue this will raise is that it requires
space for the checkpoint filesystem, so the user should verify this
ahead of time.

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
Sr. System Administrator - Storage
Sisters of Mercy Health System
3637 South Geyer Road
St. Louis, MO.  63127
Email:  schnjd AT stlo.mercy DOT net
Office: 314-364-3150, Cell:  314-486-2359